Reciprocal Certification Program

The Oklahoma Department of Agriculture has reciprocal agreements with the states listed below to recognize applicator certification in the categories and subcategories as indicated. To receive credit for test scores, an applicator must:
  1. Have a valid license in the appropriate state,
  2. Have originally tested in that state,
  3. Have test scores sent to the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food & Forestry by that state.

An applicator who has current certification in one state, having passed the written exams to attain that certification, must contact the state agency who issued the certification, and request that information regarding his/her certification be sent to a reciprocating state.  When this second state receives the information, they review it and send the applicator information on which written test(s) they will receive credit for, based on what testing has been done, and how he/she can complete the legal requirements to become certified and licensed in the new state. In Oklahoma, the next step is usually for an out-of-state applicator to fill out an "Application For Reciprocity" to become an Oklahoma certified applicator. 

Then the licensed company they will work for in Oklahoma must contact us to confirm that they will be working under that license.  If the applicator represents a company that is not yet licensed in Oklahoma, then of course that company will need to file for an Oklahoma Pesticide Applicators License, showing the newly certified applicator as its certified applicator on the license application.

There is a fee for an individual to attain certification in Oklahoma under any reciprocal agreement.  The license fee for the company ($100 per category per calendar year for commercial applicators, $50 per category fee per calendar year for non-commercial) is also required. Certification & Licensing Fees

We currently have formal reciprocal agreements with Arkansas, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Mexico and Texas.  In addition, while we do not have a formal agreement with Colorado, we are accepting applicator certification from that state (and vice versa) based on a temporary informal agreement.

The Reciprocal agreement chart will show you which categories are accepted by other states under reciprocal agreements for reciprocity in Oklahoma. Oklahoma does not have a reciprocal agreement with any state in the Wood Destroying Insect (or Termite) categories. Also, it must be noted that our agreement in the state of Texas is limited to testing done by the Texas Department of Agriculture, not by the Texas Structural Pest Control Board, as our reciprocal agreement is specific to TDA and not the other agency.

If there are any questions regarding the reciprocal process, please e-mail the Pesticide Support Staff .

Note: Not all categories reciprocate in all states.  Therefore if a category or a state is omitted from the reciprocal agreement chart in any reference, that simply means there is no reciprocity between the two states in that category.

If two or more subcategories are listed as being equivalent to one category in a reciprocating state, that means either both (or all) subcategories are required to attain reciprocal certification in the state with the one equivalent category; or, if an applicator is reciprocating into the state with the subcategories that are equivalent to the one category, then the reciprocating state will grant certification in all subcategories that are equivalent.

For example, an applicator who has passed written tests in Oklahoma in category 1a- Agricultural Plant can receive a reciprocal certification in the Texas subcategories 1a, 1b, and 1c; but an applicator who has passed written tests in the Texas subcategories 1a and 1c from the Texas Dept of Agriculture will not receive a reciprocal certification in Oklahoma unless he/she has also passed the Texas written exam in the Texas subcategory 1b as well. The "General" or "Core" exam is a part of the reciprocal agreement between all states.  However, an Oklahoma applicator reciprocating into Texas must also take that state's "Laws & Regulations" exams as a part of initial certification.